Inter Regional Transfer
Transfers within the Scotland Deanery - Inter-Regional Transfers
At some point in training it may be necessary to consider moving to another part of Scotland to continue training because of unforeseen or significant changes in personal circumstances.
The process for trainees who wish to transfer from one region to another in the Scotland Deanery is shown below.
Trainees who wish to transfer to England, Wales or Northern Ireland must use the UK Inter-Deanery Transfer process (IDT).
What is it?
The process has been developed to support medical trainees who have had an unforeseen, significant change in circumstance since the commencement of their current training programme in Scotland.
“An unforeseen, significant change in circumstances” should relate to :
- Personal disability as defined by the Equality Act 2010 or
- Caring responsibilities or
- Parental responsibilities or
- A committed relationship *Please note that the supporting evidence for this has been updated*
It should be recognised that transfers are not an entitlement. IRTs will depend on compliance with eligibility criteria and evidence requirements, and there being vacancies in the training programme in the region into which trainees are applying to move.
Who can apply?
Please note that the IRT process does not apply to foundation doctors, Locum appointments for training (LATs), dental trainees in any level of training or trainees in the Scottish National Programmes.
- Foundation trainees should use the Inter Foundation School Transfer Process
- Dental trainees should contact their Postgraduate Dental Dean for further information.
- Trainees in Scottish National Programmes should request a transfer through their Training Programme Director.
- Clinical lecturers appointed to SCREDS academic posts to the local University appointment process are not eligible as their circumstances are already addressed by the current processes and these should be able to transfer by agreement with the SCREDS leads in the academic centres.
- The Trainee Guide has been updated and is now available to download.
- There are now application deadlines: Applications must be submitted by 30th September to be eligible to transfer in February and no applications will be accepted between 2nd May and 24th July each year.
- There is now more types of evidence accepted in relation to Criterion 4, Committed Relationship.
Things to do first
- Read the Trainee Guide to Inter Regional Transfers carefully.
- Trainees must discuss alternative support arrangements with their Educational Supervisor or Training Programme Director before applying for an IRT. Trainees should consider all alternatives before applying.
- Trainees must demonstrate that significant change to personal circumstances has occurred that could not have been foreseen at the time of commencing their training programme. Criteria for change in circumstances are detailed in Section 5 of the Trainee Guide.
- Changes to personal circumstances must have occurred before making an application and applications cannot be based on expected or anticipated future events.
- As trainees will require statements and supporting evidence from medical specialists and/or local authorities it is recommended that they allow sufficient time for this to be done.
- Trainees may request transfers to a programme in a different geography but may not specify particular posts or rotations they wish to be placed in at the IRT application stage. This will be discussed at a later stage in the process with the trainees who have been accepted into a new region.
If you consider you meet the criteria and want to proceed with your application, you will find templates for completing the Deanery Document and your supporting evidence in the section below. Once you have gathered evidence you should complete the application form. Applications will be considered at one of the two annual transfer windows.
If you have a question that is not covered in the Guide, you can email IRT Queries for more information.
This page was last updated on: 15.11.2019 at 11.16